For me, prepping meals (especially dinner) is essential some weeks. It may seems like a lot of work the original day but it is the most convenient thing to come home from a day and only have to heat your dinner up. It saves time in the long run and is definitely worth doing!
This week, as I was searching through blogs, I came across a new favorite called Fit Foodie Finds, I knew I had a busy week coming so I had been looking for a meal to prep that would be different than what I had done before and this totally caught my eye. I personally love ground turkey (only the very lean kind) and am a huge fan of curry as well so I was interested to find a recipe that combined the two. So without further adieu.
Red coconut curry meatball bowl- fit foodie finds
For the meat balls
• 1 lb. ground chicken
• ½ tablespoon garlic powder
• 1 tablespoon dried basil
• 1 teaspoon chili powder
• 1 teaspoon cumin
• ½ tablespoon chili paste
• 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 egg
• ¼ cup flour (any kind will work)
• ¼ cup rolled oats
• ⅛ teaspoon salt
For Curry Sauce
• 1 yellow onion, sliced
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1 tablespoon minced garlic
• 1 can full-fat coconut milk
• 3 tablespoons red curry paste
• ½ tablespoon sriracha*
• 3 tablespoons lime juice
• 4 cups purple cabbage, sliced
• ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
• 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
• ½ tablespoon honey
• squeeze fresh lime juice
• pinch of salt
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 3.5 cups riced cauliflower (14 oz. bag)
• 1 tablespoon lime juice
• salt and pepper, to taste
1. First, preheat oven to 400ºF and spray a casserole dish or cake pan with coconut oil cooking spray. Set aside.
2. Prep your cabbage salad by placing all ingredients in a bowl. Mix well and place in the fridge.
3. Prep meatball mixture by placing all ingredients into a large bowl and mixing until combined.
4. Using a tablespoon cookie scoop (note: these are bite-sized, not giant!), scoop out mixture and mold into a ball with your hands. It works best if your hands are slightly moist with water. Place in oiled casserole dish.
5. Place meatballs in the oven for 10 minutes.
6. While meatballs are baking, prepare curry sauce by placing olive oil into a medium fry pan. When oil is hot, add onion.
7. Sauté onion for 2-3 minutes and then add the rest of the curry sauce ingredients. Bring to a boil.
8. After meatballs have been baking for 10 minutes, add curry sauce to the casserole dish and bake for an additional 7-10 minutes.
9. Finally, add all ingredients for cauliflower rice into a fry pan and cooked for 5-7 minutes.
10. When meatballs are done, remove from the oven and place ½ cup of cabbage salad, ½ cup cauliflower rice, meatballs, and curry sauce in a bowl.
11. Top with fresh thai basil and a squeeze of lime. Enjoy!